Spring is here and so is termite season. Now is a good time to make sure your house is protected from the destructive pests.
The bugs cause more than $5 billion in property damage every year, according to National Pest Management Association. That cost isnt normally covered under homeowners insurance.
As temperatures start to climb, pest companies say now is a good time start looking out for them. The warmer and sometimes wet weather make this the perfect time for termites to start making moves.
How to protect your home
- Get a professional termite inspection annually
- Dont keep firewood or lumber nearby your house
- If you have mulch surrounding your home, dont pile it high
- Direct water away from home with gutters and drain lines
What to look out for
- Mud trails on trees in your yard or on walls in your home
- Wings inside your house are a sign of termite infestation
- Distorted surfaces, cracked/bubbled paint or small holes in wood
- Damage to foundation of home — subterranean termites live underground