Theres nothing fun about finding hundreds of ants marching into your house through cracks and crevices that you didnt even know existed. We have received many calls from customers this Summer complaining of particularly bad ant problems. Basically, ants are looking for moisture, food and a home.
Here are our recommended ant prevention tips:
- Keep shrubs, plants, trees and other vegetation trimmed away from the foundation and siding of your home. Ants can often use vegetation as a roadway to access your home.
- Make sure drainage of water around your home is adequate for items such as air conditioning units, pools and hose connections/sprinkler systems.
- Repair any leaks right away, both outside and inside.
- Clean up food and beverage spills immediately.
- Store pet food and human food in sealed containers (cereals, baking products, pastas, dry pet foods, etc.).
- Seal any gaps and cracks on the outside of your home. Pay special attention to window and door frames, where pipes enter your home (such as around your air conditioning unit), laundry vents, etc.
- Remove debris or objects from your yard downed trees, old equipment, kids toys and tools are just a few examples. These items provide shade from the sun and a good source of heat, and many can collect moisture, making them the perfect harborage for ants. The closer ants are to your home, the more likely they are to invade.
- Consider calling an expert for help. Many over-the-counter pesticides, if applied incorrectly, can actually cause a problem to spread.